Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Celebration Meal--Tuesday, August 31

So I have a job lined up for after I graduate from college in two semesters. I'll be working for PricewaterhouseCoopers LLC (yay!). But enough about that, this blog is not for talking about accounting, and if there is a blog for that, not even I want to read it...

Mostly this blog is about whatever I happen to be thinking about, eating, drawing, writing about, taking terrible photos of etc... Today I want to talk about the best soup in my life right now: nabeyaki udon from Izakaya Masa. I had this soup in celebration of getting a really awesome job before I even started my senior senior year. Izakaya Masa is this little, semi-hole-in-the-wall Japanese place in Mission Hills that Cameron and I are currently addicted to. For starters, it is open till 1:00 a.m. every night of the week except Mondays (closed), and it has great Japanese food for cheap. When you walk into the restaurant, all of the cooks and servers yell some Japanese greeting at you which makes you feel right at home. Also, the place has some of the weirdest decor I've ever seen. The walls and bar area are just littered in random Japanese paraphernalia, posters, writings, and toys. See dragon bobble-head picture below:

Some favorite dishes are: the saba (grilled mackerel) which is perfect with just a squeeze of lemon and some rice (yes mom, I can eat a whole fish now thanks to Cameron), home made shrimp gyoza, grilled beef tongue (spelled and pronounced tangue at the restaurant haha), and the yakisoba with octopus.

The best dish by far, however, is definitely the nabeyaki udon. I pretty much can't pass it up and I order it every time we go even if it is so hot that night that the server has to lend me a rubber band to tie back my hair because I'm sweating too much (yes, it's happened). This udon has spinach, tofu, imitation squid, tempura shrimp and the best part...a fried egg.
I know, I'm drooling too just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment