Friday, September 24, 2010

Cafe Chloe and Kensington Grill

Last weekend Cameron's parents were in town which means that we got to eat really yummy food all weekend. Sunday, we had breakfast at Cafe Chloe, my new favorite breakfast spot and bike-ride-destination. It's a very cute French-style corner restaurant in East Village downtown. The interior is kind of squished (true to European style), but there is actually a lot of seating and it is pretty comfy. I've been here for brunch once before and I got the whole wheat pancakes with cherry syrup and applewood-smoked bacon and Cameron got two poached eggs over toast with wild mushrooms, pickled shallots, and truffle oil. YUM. This time I got the poached eggs with mushrooms and truffle oil and Cameron got the Croque Madame.


The eggs were perfectly cooked so that when you punctured the middle the yolk oozed out all over the toast and mingled with the mushrooms, shallots and truffle flavors. It felt really indulgent.

Sunday night, we had dinner with my parents and Cameron's parents at Kensington Grill (home of the best pasta dish I've ever eaten). It was restaurant week, so there was a limited menu, but maybe that was better, because we had a hard enough time deciding what to eat with only a few options. I opted for grilled asparagus with a poached egg and croutons for my first course (three poached eggs in one day!), some kind of crusted salmon with polenta, squash and a pink peppercorn beurre blanc for my main course, and key lime creme brulee with a coconut cookie for dessert. Pictures below...



That third picture was Cameron's ahi entree. I thought it was pretty. We were all so full after this dinner that we nearly rolled out of the restaurant. I'm not sure the truffle tater tots and shrimp waffle starters (we shared these before the meal) helped either...

Restaurant week has been extended another week, so if you are looking for some good restaurants to try out this weekend both of these were excellent!!

No comments:

Post a Comment